Skip to main content

The Devil Wears Hawa


Studying human nature is a fascinating experience, and when you explore it through the Word of Allah, it becomes even more mind-boggling. Recently, I read an article on Lifehack about how to live a fulfilling life by embracing the power of leverage. As I read, all I could think was, how can humans, with their limited knowledge and self-compassion, lead a content life by turning things in their favor?

Leverage (verb): holding an advantage or a stronger position in a situation.

Now, here’s the most mind-boggling connection you might not have seen coming (or maybe you did if you're a NAK fan like me). Back in the old days, when I used to study the meanings of a particular Surah, I often skimmed through the Ayat that didn’t seem to convey a deeper, thoughtful meaning. A few of those Ayat included Ayah 19-20 of Surah Al-Najam, which discusses some of the renowned pagan idols:


أَفَرَءَيْتُمُ ٱللَّـٰتَ وَٱلْعُزَّىٰ ١٩

Now, have you considered ˹the idols of˺ Lât and ’Uzza,


وَمَنَوٰةَ ٱلثَّالِثَةَ ٱلْأُخْرَىٰٓ ٢٠

and the third one, Manât, as well?


Even when going through the Tafseer, I could only grasp the historical significance of those Ayat, but never their relevance in my life. How could I relate to the Word of my Rab here?

Recently, while involving myself in the Tadaburr of this Surah from a fresh perspective, I came across a literally jaw-dropping reflection that made me pause and just blankly stare at the walls in my room for—I don’t even remember how long.

The idols mentioned, which appear as significant parts of pagan traditions from history, made of wood and stone, had a much deeper connection with human nature. These idols were just the physical representation of human ideas that the pagans held dear. The same ideas and principles were based on life hacks and approaches that offered them benefits and favors—leverage. Their dependency on these idols was solely based on the fact that being devoted to them made them loyal to their self-made ideas. These ideas offered them validation and liberation to live life by giving in to their Nafs—their Hawa.

Hawa (noun – Arabic): temporary inclination defying any sort of logic.

Humans’ inclination towards adopting leverage in their lives is based upon Hawa. It’s driven by the need to gain maximum benefits, satisfy their egos, and avoid anything that asks them to do the inner work and discipline their nafs. So, when the opportunity arises to abide by certain idols (read: worldly trends), humans don’t waste a moment in devoting themselves to them.

Mind = blown.

A simple antidote mentioned in the Quran: ponder and reflect over it. Simple. No kidding, it really is. Question what you follow, what you study, what you learn. Think about whether what you are embracing and holding so close to you offers any meaning or perseverance. Reflect on whether what you’ve been passed down in the name of family rituals is based on Hawa, or if it offers you any fixity of purpose.

Because in all honesty, nothing offers more contentment and fulfillment than knowing that you abide by something that gives you direction—a reason to live. There’s no better feeling than destroying the idols we’ve been carrying all our lives. No greater joy than realizing that my Rab loves me enough to let me experience hollowness through every path I take based on my desires. He wants me to rely upon Him; He wants to take care of me. If this isn’t love, I don’t know what is.


Comments

Popular Posts From This Blog

Why Don’t They Let Me Read My Nikahnama?

                                           Credits:  NIKKAHNAMA PARHO PROJECT (Muqadsa Zaineb) Have you ever landed in the job market, located a reasonable job vacancy as a consequence of your 654249 days job hunt, applied for the job, received a call for an interview, got offered a job position, required to sign an employment contract, and you forged your signature on the dotted line WITHOUT reading it? Sounds mad as a hatter, doesn’t it? Then what makes you sign on, without going through, on THAT one paper your life depends on? That one contract that announces your life-long commitment to a whole other person? Why do you do this, woman? WHY? (Terry Jefford’s iconic WHY).       I surely was galvanized by GenerationPK’s #ConsentToNikah Winter Festive campaign as much as you are. Pakistan’s pioneer of ready-to-wear women’s wear and the leading fashion brand, in collaboration with Centre of Human Rights UCL, has successfully absconded from the dehumanizing notion of a woman’s (supposed)

Why Weakness is Your Superhero Origin Story

  The first ten days of Dhul-Hijjah proved to be a period of immense introspection for me. One of the most profound realizations dawned on me during a  tadabbur  session, as I reached the final verse of Surah Hajj. The verse reads: "Strive in the way of Allah with a striving worthy of Him. He has chosen you and has not placed any hardship upon you in the religion. Follow the religion of Abraham, [your] father. Allah knows what you do." (Quran 22:78) What struck a chord with me most was the call to strive in Allah's way , but in a manner worthy of His Majesty and Grandeur . Here I was, questioning how someone as vulnerable and insignificant as myself could be entrusted with such a task. Then, the verse itself provided the answer: "He has chosen you." Allah, the All-Wise, had chosen me for a task that initially seemed insurmountable. Yet, as I continued reading the verse, it offered consolation: "He has not placed any hardship upon you in the religion.